Forum rules - please read before posting.

Opsive Third Person Controller Integration

Hi,

Here's quite a lengthy post I left on the Opsive forum regarding Adventure Creator integration:

http://opsive.com/forum/index.php/topic,1482.0.html

Basically I'm wanting to use all of Adventure Creator's features (saving system, Inventory, hotspots, actions etc) whilst also making use of the Third Person Controller's full feature set, rather than just as a player controller provided by a bridge.

Since version 1.49 allows you to use non-AC scenes, I thought about using normal AC gameplay until moving into a non-AC scene for combat sections of the game, then move out of the scene and we're back in regular AC land again.

However, as stated in the post, I want a consistent game setup, similar to the way AC plays nicely with UFPS.

I am posting again here on the Adventure Creator forums as I'm not sure exactly which asset author it would require to get an integration upgrade working - if it's even possible. If not, I'll have to go with my "segmented" gameplay style, which I'm not really a fan of, but it provides variety at least. I will say that Justin at Opsive has a prototype going for a camera, but it's a long way off I believe.

Thankyou

Comments

• To be honest, keeping AC's UFPS integration up-to-date is something of a nightmare.  Rather than providing official integration for a few select assets, by focus in recent months has been to provide the tools (such as the scripting guide, the Engine: Manage systems Action, and custom character controllers) to allow for anybody to write a "bridge script" between two assets.

I don't know how far you've looked into these features - particularly the latter two - but I would hope that AC is now a lot better equipped to work in tandem with such an asset in the way you're wanting.  However, some custom scripting will inevitably be required, no matter how minimal.

I would suggest looking into these features if you haven't already, and then let me know how you go, and how AC can improve the process - but again, I'll be looking at this from a more "general" perspective, so that any other such assets could benefit as well.
  • Ok thanks for the insight. I understand your thinking here; 'officially' adding integration for another asset ups the workload - all it takes is for one to get updated and it potentially screws everything up in someone's project.

I'll see how things pan out though, cheers.