Forum rules - please read before posting.

Scene Building + Loading

Hi Guys

Just a quick question as I am curious. I am building out a point and click adventure and have a few scenes built already. When going between each scene sometimes it takes a little while to load up (I don't have audio in yet either). Is there anyway we could pre-load the scenes into memory before you go into another scene?

I have built myself out a loading screen so the player knows something is happening and generally once visiting a scene it loads very fast on returning to it, its only on the first visit it takes a few seconds to load. 

Is it better to build out the entire game with all the rooms in one scene or each room in its own scene?

trying to think of the best methods here. 

Comments

• edited December 2015
    Have you checked your perfomance in a build with out the editor?

Personally I use as many separate scenes as possible to keep me sane :)
  • v1.49 introduced the option to the Engine: Change scene Action to only preload the scene.  If the same scene is called later on, it should be loaded faster.
  • @SkyTree I have, I am ok for now seems good, just thinking for the future when things get crazy!
    I am using separate scenes too as things can get messy!

@Chris - I have noticed already visited scenes load very fast :)
  • Hei @ChrisIceBox , I have to say the preloading is a fantastic feature. It makes our mobile AC game loading much more usefull. The speed is like 20s -> 0.5s, if we preload during a cutscene movie.

However I believe there is some kind of small UI bug that seemed to break our scene. The scene consist of a mp4-fullscreen movie with a preload of next scene in the middle of the movie and then shows a "Next ->" button to go to that scene.

I had first checked this "Overlay current screen during switch" and then checked the "Just preload data" checkbox - which hides the previously mentioned checkbox (but its value still seems to be saved). With the hidden checkbox checked, our scene would start preloading but the next button would never work. After unchecking the box preloading + scene switching with buttons is very fast :)
  • @ilmari: Sorry, you're going to have to run that one by me again.  Could you provide screenshots to explain what you mean?  The "Overlay current screen" option should have no effect if you also check "Just preload data".
  • edited December 2015
    It seemed to get stuck in the first scene without anything happening, at least built on android. But it seems I cant reproduce the problem anymore with the setting. So it must have been something else, possibly a problem with EasyMovieTexture asset, which I have fixed.

Sorry or the wrong bug report.