Forum rules - please read before posting.

Input Check missing keypresses

Hello! 

Small yet annoying issue here. I am using an Input Check action list to pause the game when dialog boxes come up, waiting on the user to press the "close menu" button (space). Essentially I am bringing up a menu, adding text to it, and then running the list so that the game pauses until the user presses space to continue. 

It all works fine, sort of. Often, I have to press space 3 or 4 times before it registers and closes the menu. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be the case? Is there something Im missing?

Here is the actionlist:

And here is an interaction with the Action List being run:

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• edited January 2016
    A couple of users have reported similar issues - I suspect this is a recent issue either with AC or Unity.  What platform, versions of AC and Unity, and is this in builds or only in the Editor?
  • Thanks for responding so quickly! 

I am on unity 5.12f1, and AC version 1.46 (I have had no reason to update to the latest versions, unless this is a reason :) ). Platform is windows 10.

And yes, this is in builds as well as the editor.
  • edited January 2016
    Never mind. This is actually a separate issue.

I can improve this a little, but looping Actions will always have a minor delay between them.  I would instead recommend you use Active Inputs to check for input - this will always detect input.  You can read more about them in Section 2.14 of the Manual.

Set a boolean variable to True instead of running your ActionList can be used to determine whether or not the input should have any effect.

But there is always a reason to update - each update contains dozens of bugfixes and improvements.
  • Ah, ok. I was interpreting the advice from this response and tailoring it to my own needs :)

I will try switching this around, thanks for the help.
  • edited January 2016
    That was from a while ago - Active Inputs were created since then to get around that exact problem.  Sorry for the confusion.
  • no worries! I'm just glad there's a fix :)
  • edited January 2016
    Ok! I found your comment regarding the Manage Systems action to close all menus, easy peezy. Would you mind giving a little bit of context (or a tutorial link) as far as how to implement setting a boolean value to control pausing the game and waiting for input? 
  • Active Inputs were also covered at this point in the 3D tutorial.

Since you want to use it to un-pause the game: rather than using a boolean, you can just check the state of your gamplay-pausing Menu.  Tie the Active Input to an ActionList that checks if this Menu is on by using the Menu: Check state Action.  If it's on, you know to turn it off!
  • Chris, just wanted to do a quick follow-up. This method works perfectly, thanks very much!