Forum rules - please read before posting.

OnStart dialogue issue

Hello, AdventureCreator community!

I'm new to both Unity and AdvCreator, but so far I'm finding both very
useful and powerful tools. I come from Adventure Game Studio and
Visionaire, but I switched to Adventure Creator because the potential is far superior.

I did the tutorial 2d adventure (the one with the guy and the bird) and
I'm working now on a test adventure to learn stuff. I wanted the
character dialogues to display in a LucasArts style, so I set everything
like the tutorial tells you to. Once the game is running, dialogues are
displayed properly above each character, but it doesn't work at the
OnStart cutscene. For some reason, dialogues that are displayed in the
OnStart cutscene are displayed at the center of the screen. They
vertically depending on the position of the character speaking, but they
don't move horizontally.

Do you guys know why this is happening?

Thank you very much,

Àlex

Comments

• Hello Alex, welcome to the community!

Do these speech lines play literally as soon as the scene begins, or is there a brief delay?  If there's no delay, try inserting one beforehand with an Engine: Wait Action.  If that fixes the issue, it may be that there's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Otherwise, check that your character's sprite is at (0,0,0) position (it should be a child object, not the root GameObject).  If it's not at (0,0,0), then the character will not appear to be where they actually are.
  • Hi Chris! Thanks for your response. I did start the cutscene with an Engine: wait action, yes. I'll check the character sprite position when I get home from work, sure! The weird thing though is that once the cutscene is over, the dialogues appear properly.

Thank you Chris!
  • I did a new test scene from scratch to see if I missed any step. It now displays the player's dialogues properly, but not the NPC's. What determines where the dialogues appear? The character sprite? The box collider? The circle collider? The hotspot? Can it have anything to do with the navmesh or the sorting map? Man... I feel so noobish lol
  • Dialogues are displayed inside any "Label" menu element that's given the type "Dialogue Speech".  Elements go inside Menus (similar to how AGS works).

The default Menu system provides you with a Menu called "Subtitles" - you can see it if you click on the Menu Manager tab, and then on Subtitles.  The position of this Menu is, by default, set to Manual - but if it's set instead to Above Speaking Character, then it will instead by positioned as such.  The position can be set within the Menu's properties, as you've probably already seen by now.

AC tries to determine how high "above" is by looking at the character's Sprite child - which must be explicitly assigned in the Player/NPC inspector.

You can override this, however, by creating a separate Empty child of the character and assigning it as the Speech menu placement child - again, in the Player/NPC Inspector.  AC will then refer to the position of this object when placing the subtitle menu instead.

You can test out a pre-made 2D NPC, the 2D Demo's "Bird" character, by dragging him into the scene from /Assets/AdventureCreator/2DDemo/NPCs/Bird.

If everything still checks out OK, please post some screenshots showing what you've got so far, so we can now specificaly what you've done so far.
  • Man... I found out what my mistake was and I feel so ashamed... it was so obvious and yet I didn't realize LOL
    Whenever I reseted the transform for both the player/NPC asset and the sprite, I would then move the sprite to my desired position instead of the asset, leaving the asset at the middle of the screen. Yes. Very dumb. So sorry. Now it works perfectly, of course xD

Anyway, I didn't find the "speech menu placement child" option in the player/npc inspector. Where is it?

Thank you very much for your support, and I'm sorry my mistake was so lame! I'm still getting used to this engine :-P
  • It's at the bottom - update to the latest version if you are using an older one, it's a recent addition.
  • That was it! Updated to the last version ^^
    Thank you very much for your incredible support, Chris. This is by far the best adventure game tool I've ever seen.