Forum rules - please read before posting.

Parenting character to object + 3D to 2.5 question

Hello, I had a bit of time to play with AC again, so I thought about recreating the beginning of Shadow of the Comet just for fun and learning.

So, the game starts with three characters talking and at the end of the dialogue all three get in a carriage that takes them to a house after passing through several scenes of the town.

I basically wanted to know how could I achieve the characters getting into and going with the carriage and then get out of it in the destination.
I thought about making the characters position in front of the carriage, play an animation of each going into it, but I don't know how to make the characters "sit" in the carriage while it moves and then make them get out of it at a destination.

So, I was thinking about having the characters visibility turn off after the animation plays or change to a sit state and keep them sitting in place, stick them somehow to the carriage and then turn visibility on while an animation of the character getting out of the carriage is played.
Don't know how to do this with AC or if there is a better way of doing it.

But I actually don't know how a character could change position to the final animation position after a custom animation is played that moves or offsets the model's position from the base.
(I don't know if I made sense)

I mean, if the character plays a custom animation of it entering the carriage and sitting, the model's position and pose changes while the character's root-base-center is still in front of the carriage's door since that didn't actually move only the animation, but after the animation is played the model jumps back to the idle animation that is outside the carriage, so how do I make that pose inside the carriage stick after it plays?, or even be set to have the character play idle-sitting animations? and be moved with the carriage as well?.

Same would be if the character sits in a chair, how would the character change to a sitting state with idle, talk and custom animations in the sitting state?.

----

My second question is a bit silly, I was testing the main character and before doing it I setup the game as 3D since I thought about building 3D scenes, but now that I have something I like I thought I could make it 2.5D instead and use illustrated backgrounds, but I don't want to reconfigure and set up everything again, so my question is, can I change the game setting from 3D to 2.5D without affecting the configurations I already made?

Comments

• Please post unrelated questions in separate threads in the future, as it makes it easier to manage.

1. It's difficult to visualise this without some reference screenshots, but know that you can use the Object: Set parent Action to parent your characters to a moving object.  You can also use the Object: Teleport Action to set their positions explicitly after an animation has finished.

2. What configurations are you referring to, exactly?  The setting is easily changed within the Settings Manager - it won't affect e.g. inventory items, variables.  Since 2.5D still works in 3D space (just that the scene graphics isn't visible in the scene view) the positions of Hotspots, NavMeshes etc will still be done in 3D.
  • Thanks for the reply, sorry for the mess.

I think I came up with an idea on how I could make the character work, I was having a bit of a problem understanding the character states if the animation had an offset root in the last frame.

So I think I need to make a new idle animation clip with the offset position of the character matching the last frame of it sitting in the carriage animation and then setting this sitting idle as the base idle animation using the -Character "set standard"- action and then parent the character to the carriage so it moves with it.
  • Sounds about right, good luck with it.