Forum rules - please read before posting.

InstantOC and Real Imposters LOD - AC compatibility

Hi again! Because my other post, in my previous discussion, was kinda long, I decided to leave this question for a new discussion.

Anywyay, I was just wondering if any of this plugins work with AC? or if they don't, if there's a possibility to make them compatible with AC?. 

Theres also EDOC, but it's new and doesn't have any reviews yet...

InstantOC is for a dynamic occlusion culling effect (which needs no baking) and the other is for a dynamic LOD system. Both are praised for increasing performance, but I think they both require ray tracing from the camera, and well.. AC requires static objects to be put in the ignore ray tracing layer... so I don't know... 

Anyway, it would be great if there was a way to use this with AC. It would help making bigger or more detailed game worlds, without much hassle.

Comments

• Thank you - separate issues/questions should indeed be written in separate threads.

I haven't personally used those assets but there should be anything stopping them from working with AC in principle.  To what are you referring when you say AC requires static objects to be put on the Ignore ray tracing (Raycast?) layer?
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks for your response.

Umm.. sorry, I mean, the manual says you have to put your sets geometry on the Ignore raycast layer. But I'm guessing, maybe that's just for raycast performed by AC? maybe all I need to do is set those plugins to affect that layer?
  • That could do it, perhaps.  The advice is a simplication - it's really about making sure that the NavMesh and Hotspots are not conflicted by the scene geometry.  Hotspots are placed on the Default layer by default, but you can change which layer they are expected on at the bottom of the Settings Manager.  If you wanted to, you could instead move them onto a dedicated layer (e.g. "Hotspots") and keep your scene geometry on Default.
  • Great, that's what I wanted to know! Thanks Chris!