Forum rules - please read before posting.

Show multiple categories in a single inventory box.

Hi, everyone. Just wondering if there's any way to show multiple categories in a single inventory box. Basically, I'm currently designing my Inventory, it's gonna be tabbed, one tab per item type, but I do want the first type to show everything the player is currently carrying (like most rpg-ish games do). Problem is, I'm using Items to manage quite a few stuff that shouldn't be shown to the player (Player lvl, player EXP, skill lvls, skill EXP, Clues, relationships, money and other types of score.) That means, I can't use an inventory box which shows everything, cause all the stuff I want hidden pops up then... 

So, is there a way to tell an inventory box to show an specific group of categories? Maybe someone with a better grip on the scripting guide can give me a hand :)

Anyway, as usual, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Not currently, I'm afraid.  This may be something that can be introduced in an update, however.
  • Coming back to this: using inventory items isn't the best way to keep track of player stats.  Better to use global variables instead, which can be manipulated much more easily, through Actions and scripts.
  • edited May 2016
    Eh, true, but my global variables list was already kind of growing bad because I'm keeping track of many things(like player stats, date,month,TimeOfday,weather, etc). The player will have lvl and exp lvl, and so will the 6 skills available to her, and so will affection with 5 characters... I'm also using a few scripts to automate some calculations so I've had to make some vars to set things like exp multiplier, base exp, etc, etc, so they're only for control. But all in all I was starting to get to 80+ GVars and it was starting to get harder to keep track of them (Also, I'm new to game development so I don't know if that's little or too much to have). Anyway, I wanted to divert some stuff elsewhere, and I found the categories you've added in the inventory to be quite helpful when organizing things.

By the way, I noticed a while ago when working with variables, when you start clicking different items in the list the new selected variable fields don't update correctly, they keep the info from the previous variable. I have to click anywhere outside, like the hierarchy or the project window,  to force the menu to refresh the content, else if by mistake you try to add or delete a letter from the wrong data, the field ends up retaining the value from the previous variable. Is this a bug or is it just me? (By the way, I'm now using v1.51f)
  • PS: What the, you already have another version? You update so fast xD...
  • Which fields are you referring to, specifically?  Screenshots would help a lot.

If you put a "/" character in your variable's name, you can arrange your variable's into categories in drop-down lists.  You can also filter by name at the top, if too many are showing in the manager.
  • edited May 2016
    Yeah I know about the "/", I just happen to use the variables manager a lot and it just felt easier to use the drop down in the inventory manager... besides using the "/" doesn't change the fact the name gets longer in the variables manager, which makes the variables even harder to read in there (specially with long var names)...

Anyways, here is the .gif screen shot of the issue in the variables manager, for some reason the software didn't catch the mouse pointer... but anyway, it happens when you select a var in the variables manager and then select the initial value field (or any of the fields, really), if after you've done that you click another Var, then the field's content gets transfered, or should I say, doesn't get updated to the next field's value. (If you notice, all the strings in that section have nothing, yet they always display 1, which is actually from var 46... it was kind of a thorn on the backside while typing the long list of Var names...)

PS: Yes, just from the vars you can tell I'm making a game for girls :-O (well, maybe you can't, as they're all guy names in Japanese, lol)... it was an sporadic request from my sister. Guess the idea developed so well into a mystery, that it got me interested... >:D<
  • Yes, I've noticed that behaviour - I believe it's an issue with Unity, unfortunately.