Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character keeps walking in place upon hitting collider in 2D direct control game.

RemRem
edited May 2016 in Technical Q&A
Ok, I'm gonna need help with this one, guys. Chris, are you there? ;)

I'm making a fully keyboard/gamepad controlled 2D game. Direct controls, context sensitive, detecting hotspots by player proximity without pausing the game. I've got a sprites based character so I'm using box colliders to restrict player movement. But one big issue here, and I saw it brought up on few occasions here but without solution it seems: the character doesn't stop walking when hitting the collider. Instead they just walk in place in kinda jittery way that doesn't look too good. Is there a workaround? AGS stops character walking and starts playing the character's idle animation. I'm sure this can be replicated with AC... but how? ;)

I know it's hardly a game-breaking issue, but sometimes the devil is in the details ;)

Please bear in mind I'm AC/Unity noob (but learning quickly! ;) )

-Rem (Harvester Games)

PS. Loving AC so far btw ;)

Comments

• The ability to slow movement near "wall" colliders is only a feature for characters that use either the Mecanim or Sprites Unity Complex engines for their animation.  SUC gives greater control to the user over how 2D characters are animated.

Switch to SUC first (see Section 3.9 of the Manual), just getting basic idle/walk/talk animations working, and then you'll be able to implement the slow-near-walls feature.
  • I was afraid that this would be the only way... I only just figured out how to use the basic Sprites Unity animation system and that took some brain power :P  BUT - you're right, I do want to learn and having greater control over animations can only be a good thing ;) I shall experiment with Sprites Unity Complex straight away!

Thanks! ;)