Forum rules - please read before posting.

Switching scenes does not work

Hello,

Switching scenes, for some reason, doesn't work for me.

I made a hotspot, gave it a Engine: Change scene component, and then typed out the correct scene under "name". However, when I click on the hotspot, it takes me to a black scene. When I click around, I can hear my characters footprints but nothing else.

I checked the PlayerStart point in the next scene, to see if that was working properly. It was, so I am not sure what to do there.

Thought it might be because I don't have a loading scene, but I left the game on for a while and nothing happened.

Not sure what to do. Any advice would be great. If you need me to make screenshots of specific things, let me know.

Comments

• Make sure you added your scene to your build and it's checked File>BuildSettings so Unity knows it exists and AC can relate to it.
    And call for the correct scene when switching levels.
  • What options have you set in the Settings Manager under Scene loading?

Be sure you're using the latest version of AC.  A similar-sounding bug was recently fixed.  If you change to the Scene window when this happens, can you see the correct scene loaded?
  • SKyTree: I was testing this in the game window. I didn't build the game. Do I have to do that to switch scenes properly?

ChrisIceBox: I updated Adventure Creator, but sadly Adventure Creator crashed. Then it keeps me this message when I try to play the game:

I tried re importing it like the module suggested, but Unity doesn't like it when I update Adventure Creator for some reason. It crashes every time and I always get error messages that make my game unplayable.

Luckily I backed the game up, but I am not sure what I am doing that's making this happen.
  • edited June 2016
    No need to build your game to run it. Just a normal run, like when you are testing it, running it normally.
    Have you done/checked what I suggested you previously?
  • I don't know why you'd have an issue updating AC, but you can just follow the step it suggests manually: find the GameEngine prefab in /Assets/AdventureCreator/Prefabs/Automatic, and add the MultiSceneChecker component to it.
  • edited June 2016
    @Skytree Ooohh, I see. I added the scenes to the builder. They weren't there before. Whenever I fix Adventure Creator I'll test it out and see if it works.

@Chris ;  Hmmmm. I checked the game engine and it says that MultiSceneChecker is there.
  • You will need to ensure it is also on the GameCamera in your scene as well - it should be automatic but check manually just in case.
  • Okay that worked! Thank god! But now I have a new problem.

Whenever I try to use the hot spot and menus, the game gets stuck on it. Like, the cursor won't change back to normal and my character won't move.

And I can't seem to get rid of the text above the cursor, but that might be something that I am doing wrong. Not the program.

Here is a video of the problem to make it more clear:
    https://youtu.be/Q5L7QmzVu7E

Also thank you for being patient with me. i really appreciate it. haha!!

• edited June 2016
    Start a new thread, please :D
    And please go through tutorials...
  • Indeed - please post a new thread outlining the problem clearly.  Screenshots of your Settings Manager will be required, too.  Also know that you can debug your game's current state by checking List active ActionLists in Game window? at the bottom of the Settings Manager.
  • Okay! I made a new post here: http://www.adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/5210/hot-spots-stopped-working#latest

I tried debugging it like you suggested, but it doesn't really do anything. But I'll address that in the post for you to see.

Sorry. I didn't realize that updating Adventure Creator would cause so many problems! Learning this stuff is like learning a second language.

Thank you again!