Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to hide NPCs in 2.5D when not in active camera

Hello!
It's easy to make it so hotspots are only visible in a certain camera ("limit to camera"). Is there a good way to do something similar with NPCs? As is, my NPCs look great in their own scenes, but then they're seen in weird spots in the backgrounds of other scenes.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited June 2016
    You have a couple of options:
    1. Assuming the NPC also has a Hotspot component on it to make it interactive, set the same Limit to camera field, and also add a Limit Visibility component to their sprite.  This will only hide the NPC's sprite, not disable it.
    2. Use Object: Teleport Actions to move the NPC in and out of view when switching to and from the camera.
  • I appreciate the advice! I'm using 3D characters, so I'm not sure (1) works for me. I'll try out (2), although it seems a little fragile to try to position characters such that they aren't visible in the background of any of my many cameras. Probably doable with some fiddling though. :) Thank you! 
  • Found a much more effective solution: :D
    Action type- Object, Visibility
    Affect Children- True

That avoids fiddling with locations.
  • Found a better, perfect solution: there's a "Limit Visibility" component that can be applied to any object, and it does exactly the right thing trivially.