Forum rules - please read before posting.

"Only Move When Sprite Changes" stopped working?

Hi all,

It's been a few months since I've last opened my game project. After updating Unity and AC and reconnecting my Managers, I gave the game a spin and found my player sprite was moving at double speed. The culprit seems to be the "Move when Sprite Changes" toggle which no longer affects the speed whether I turn it on or off. I'm not sure if this is a Unity or AC problem, or if I flubbed the update, but any help troubleshooting would be well-appreciated.

Comments

• I might be reading you wrong, but the option won't change the speed at which the animation plays.  It's similar to AGS's "Anti-glide mode" feature, in which the character only moves on the same frame as their aniation changes.

You can control the distance that they move each frame with the Walk speed scale, but the speed of the animation itself is still controlled by the Samples number in the Animation clip itself.
  • To clarify, it's the speed scales and glide that I'm trying to fix. 

I initially turned on "Only Move When Sprite Changes" to fix a gliding issue months ago. I also doubled the speed scale to compensate for the empty sprite frames in the animation timeline. After updating yesterday, I noticed my player character was moving too fast and gliding, means they were ignoring "Sprite Change".

So even if I slow down my movement to play the game at a normal speed, the "Sprite Change" toggle has no visible effect and gliding still happens. Does that make sense?
  • Can you confirm this by reducing the Samples rate in the animation itself?  You should find that movement speed shoots right down with it.  If not, try it with the 2D Demo scene with Brain2D as the player.  If it work with Brain and not your own player, it may be that there's some component or some such that's having an effect on it.
  • edited July 2016
    Good call. I've double-checked with the animation samples (cranked it right down to 1) and even created New Project to try it out with Brain2D. Same problem in both projects. The player still glides at normal walking speed.
  • Does your character have a Rigidbody2D on him?  I believe that's the cause, due to a bug introduced in v1.52a.
  • RigidBody2D deleted aaaaannnndddd.... that did the trick! :D

Excellent; it's all working perfectly now. Thanks again, Chris!