Forum rules - please read before posting.

How can make "torch effect" in the player character.

Hi masters,

I have a very dark scene, and the character to see objects carries a torch.

How I can make the character illuminates around they?. I have all the sprites of the scene in two versions (bright and dark) ... Is there a way to manage these elements to make that torch effect?

Lot of thanks!!

Comments

• Use Animator components that control which sprites get shown.  If many of the sprites aren't animated separately and just need to be light/dark at the same time as each other, you could try grouping them up into the same hierarchy and using one Animator to control them all.

Once you have animations of their light/dark states created, you can use the Object: Animate Action to control which animation is played.
  • If you want to try and do it realtime, you can also use a sprite shader that allows lighting and shadows. Then it's just a matter of adding a point light to the character. From an artistic perspective the results are not super if you're strictly working in 2D, but it's an easy solution without a lot of extra work. I can send you the shader I use if you want to try that.

You could also look at 2D shadowed lights, there are a bunch of assets like that on the asset store. I tried Zipplights2D before and it produces a pretty cool effect. Pretty cheap too.