Forum rules - please read before posting.

Running ActionLists from script

edited July 2014 in Technical Q&A
Looked into this in the code and it seems like especially if you're going to run an actionlist from an asset file with a parameter, that there's a decent amount of overhead in terms of setting it up - is that right? Or is there some really simple way to run one from C# that I'm missing! :)

Use case would be - want to control some aspect of the game from script, or Playmaker - and ActionLists as assets that take parameters seem like the best way to do that - but there always seems to be a really simple way to do things with AC so wanted to check to make sure I'm not making life hard on myself!

Comments

• The simple way to do it is to use the Engine: Run ActionList Action!  It is indeed quite complex to do through script, but the feature was designed with the Action system in mind.

To do it through script, have a look at ActionRunActionList.cs' SendParameters function. Essentially, you need to set the value of each parameter in the ActionLists' parameters List using the class' SetValue function.
  • Got it - and actually, it turned out to be pretty straightforward to do. For others' benefit here's the basic gist of it:

// First, load the ActionListAsset from the .asset file in resources
    actList = (ActionListAsset)Resources.Load("your_asset_list") as ActionListAsset;

// Then, populate the parameters if they exist - they need to be integer IDs - ie. the Constant ID component
    actList.parameters[0].SetValue(constantID);

// Run the action list!
    AdvGame.RunActionListAsset (actList);

Pretty simple in the end. A bit of cleanup would allow you to make this a Playmaker action pretty easily.

Thanks for the tip!
  • Thanks for sharing! very useful info. A Playmaker action would be very handy indeed.

• You can now make an ActionListAsset variable:
    public ActionListAsset actionList;

And then assign an ActionList via the inspector, and call it with:
    actionList.RunFromIndex(0);