Forum rules - please read before posting.

Direct Control Hotspot/Interaction Issues

Hi,

I'm new to Adventure Creator and having great fun with it. I've hit a few issues when
starting to use Hotspots. My game is direct control, using the
keyboard/controller (no mouse). I've played around with it for a few
days with no success so thought I'd post here. Apologies in advance
if I've made simple glaring mistakes. I've created some images using
a demo scene with test assets to show the issues I'm having (see
below). I'm on Unity version 5.3.5 and on Adventure Creator versions 1.53, a snapshot image of my game settings is included at the foot of the post.

Many thanks in advance,

Alex

1) Number of interaction
icons appearing

Irrespective of the number of interactions I specify on a Hotspot, I always get three icons appearing.

2) Interactions
automatically triggering on entering Hotspot volume

On entering the hotspot volume the interaction will frequently trigger automatically, with no input from the player. In the example below the dialogue line plays automatically on entering the hotspot volume.

3) No green interaction
icon highlight when cycling interaction options

I have set it up to cycle through the interaction menu on the keyboard, this is working and I can pick my interaction of choice. However, I have no visual feedback, the green icon highlight is not appearing, as it does in the demos when using mouse. The green highlight still seems to be specified in the interaction menu settings, see below.

Here is a snapshot of my game settings:

Comments

• Welcome to the community @Plank, and thank you for the in-depth details of your issues!  Though I apologise you're having some trouble this early on.

1) In order for the Interaction elements in your Menu to be properly synchronised with the Hotspot, the Menu's Appear type must be set to On Interaction.  This is a special case type that precedes the turning on of this Menu with the sychronisation calculations.

2) Does this occur for every Hotspot, or just one that has a single Interaction defined?  Does the Hotspot have Single 'Use' interaction? checked in its Inspector?  An Interaction should never be triggered unless the "InteractionA" button is pressed - what have you mapped this to?

3) This may be another knock-on effect of the Menu having the wrong Appear type setting.  You could also try temporarily switching your Menu Manager back to the Demo game's counterpart, Demo_MenuManager.  This makes use of the "default" Interaction Menu, which you can copy into your own Menu Manager asset if it works as intended (and then re-style to suit your needs).
  • edited August 2016
    Hey Chris,

Thanks for the quick response and welcome. Changing the menu's appear type has resolved the lot, even the second issue strangely enough. So that's awesome, thanks.

Here's some more info on the second issue for you;
    -It occurred on all Hotspots, irrespective of the number of interactions defined
    -None of them had Single 'Use' interaction checked in their inspectors
    -My InteractionA button is set to 'u' on the keyboard.

This second issue returns if I switch back to 'On Hotspot' for the menu's appear type. I'm more than happy to supply further information if it's of any use to you.

Many thanks again for your help,
    Cheers,
    Plank

• Thank you, I will let you know if I need anything else.
  • Though you should still keep your Interaction Menu's Appear type as On Interaction, I believe I've fixed the second issue otherwise.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update, will do, thanks again for the help.
  • Expect the fix in v1.53a, which I intend to release later this week.