Forum rules - please read before posting.

Optimization calls

edited July 2014 in Engine development
Hello,

is it possible to improve the way action are initialized ? Because actually, function AssignValues is called at Runtime when an action is accomplished. But all actions are using function like FindObjectsOfType which is very heavy. Instead, you could call AssignValues in Start function of ActionList or Hotspot if AssetActionList are used.
This is very important because if you're using a lot of actions, the game is very slow.

Thanks

Comments

• edited July 2014
    I'd considered this myself.  There's the added complexity of ActionList assets, which reference assets that may not be in the same scene when the game begins, but I'll look into it.
  • Yes, the fact is, whenever your scene change, all AssignValues of actions (especially in asset files) need to be called. This is not bad here because you are loading your scene and this way all references are really set.

That's a big work (I began to do that but stopped) because there is a lot of actions list asset referenced (and lot of times referenced also by asset file so just a call on Start or Awake won't work and OnEnable callback is not working...). But it's really important for mobile games.