Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible bug report/solution: turning on NavMesh disables shadows

The scene manager has the very nice feature of being able to hide and show the nav meshes in your scene. I recently added dynamic shadows to my game, and they kept mysteriously breaking. It turns out that when you enable nav meshes, L72 of NavMeshBase#Show will turn off all your shadows.

I assume that line was there for a reason, but upon commenting it out, I see no ill effects, and my problems are solved. Should that line be present?

Thanks!
Adam

Comments

• Your NavMeshes aren't designed to be directly the same rendered mesh that's visible in the scene, so the shadows are removed so that they don't conflict with other objects.  I'll consider removing it, though - one can simply disable shadows manually on the MeshRenderer component if they don't want them.
  • Ah, gotcha. It seems like the 2.5D tutorial leads one into a position of having the nav meshes be visible in the scene for rendering shadows though?
  • I can't remember if I pressed the "Show" button in the tutorial at any point, so I may have missed it.  Regardless, I'll remove it.