Forum rules - please read before posting.

Interaction Icons offset from clicked item

I am doing the 3D tutorial using Unity 5.4..0f3 and AC 1.53b. Nothing custom has been added. When I hover over the lift, it highlights as it supposed to. However, when I left click to bring up the use and look at icons, they show up way left of where I'm clicking and when I go to click on them, they disappear. I have done this tutorial with previous versions and had no problems. Is there a new setting I should be doing or ????.

Comments

• edited August 2016
    On which platform?  Unity 5.4 has been causing trouble with the Menu system, but these should have been sorted out with v1.53b.  What is your Interaction Menu's Position type set to?

It's not clear how far you've gotten into the tutorial - are you using the default Interaction menu, or the "Walking Dead" template?  A screenshot demonstrating the problem will help to illustrate the issue.
  • edited August 2016
    Im about 1 hr into  the tutorial on windows. Im using the default menu. Hovering over the lift door. Everything is at default values. It is a clean install for both adv creator and Unity 5.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/zbhd1

Position type is hotspot. Whatever the default is. Hope this helps. Thanks.

• I'm afraid I can't recreate the issue.  Please post your full Interaction Menu's list of properties as they appear in the Menu Manager.  Also, try adding your scene to the build settings, and built the game - does the problem occur in builds as well?
  • Hmm, well I here is the link for the Menu list of properties I believe you are asking for. Also, it does occur in the build as well.

http://imgur.com/a/zbhd1

Finally located the problem. If I change the interaction source to Adventure Creator it works perfectly. UI Prefab is the one giving me the problem.

I added the screenshot with using the AC interaction source.

• Unfortunately, when using AC source, don't see dialogues when click look at. So, IDK.
  • edited August 2016
    Ummm, have you tried checking the uGUI menu's options to see if anything is amiss? This sounds more like it might be an issue with the uGUI menu, I'd check the anchors and verify if the element's are actually resizing with the screen size. I'd also force the screen's aspect ratio to my target in the adventure creator's settings manager. This happens a lot when you are using custom uGUI, one way to know for sure is to have the menu active on default, then just resize the Game tab window, if there's a screen ratio issue, parts of the menu might get out of the screen, become distorted or appear in the wrong places. Also make sure your unity's Game tab is set to your target screen's aspect ratio or you will get wrong feedback. Never use the Free Aspect option in the Game tab window, that's a recipe for mistakes (it'll make you think you got your menus right, when in reality if you resize the Game screen everything goes to hell...).
  • edited August 2016
    Your Interaction Menu's Position type is set to Manual - not Hotspot.  This position mode means it is under your own control (via script), and not set by AC directly.

Change the Position mode to either "On Hotspot" or "Appear At Cursor And Freeze" and it ought to work - though it should have been set to the latter to begin with.

If you are having trouble showing subtitles with your Menu, post more details along with a new screenshot of the Subtitles Menu and we'll take a look into it.
  • Oh, sorry, I didn't check the images. But do be careful with the aspect ratio. Lol.
  • Ok, so I did as discussed above. See the screenshots. Nothing has changed. Aspect ratio now on 16:9 and tried both hotspot and appear at cursor and freeze and no change see screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/zbhd1

I also tried it by the laser gun as well. Please note position of icon way below the pointer. I can't show subtitle screenshot, because nothing shows up in the game window when clicked. But I did show the subtitles menu. Have no idea why I should be having to jump thru these hoops as I was following the tutorial exactly and made no custom changes. Thanks for the help, but it is getting frustrating.

• edited August 2016
    Ummmm.. I've just noticed all your Rect transform fields are empty (they show as None). The menus are only half setup... there's a big chance that without a reference to them AC is unable to position them properly (there's no transform to work with after all...).  Anyway, setting up the Canvas in the Linked Canvas field isn't enough (The canvas always encompasses the whole screen...). Once the menu is properly build, by what I mean the hierarchy should be something like the following:

Canvas->
       Content->
          Button
          textbox
          etc...

You prefab the menu and, from the library tab, you drag the Canvas into the Linked Canvas field, then you drag Content into the Rect Transform field. Finally if you have buttons or something (which you want to let AC manipulate). You put the prefab back into a scene (if it isn't there still) and then drag the rest of the elements into their respective fields (buttons, labels, etc). Then, while you have selected the in-scene prefab, you end by hitting the apply button at the top of the inspector so that unity saves the changes you did to the prefab.
  • Well spotted, @Alverik!  AC relies on the RectTransform field to position UIs dynamically during gameplay.

@dwalther2: Open up the InteractionUI prefab and assign the Grid child object in the Interaction Menu's RectTransform boundary field.  Similarly, do the same for the HotspotUI prefab's txtHotspot child object.

I apologise for your frustration with this - as I said, these steps should have been done automatically for you, but I appreciate your continued patience.  Did you start from a fresh project within Unity 5.4, or did you update from a previous version?  It may be that re-importing AC from the Asset Store, and making a new set of Managers with the New Game Wizard, solves the issue - however I would recommend you try the above steps first as it will be easier.
  • Thanks for the info Chris and Alverik, I will check to see how it goes tommorrow when I have some time and let you know how it went..

FYI @Chris:  It is a brand new clean install of 5.4 and the most recent AC.
  • Ok. Moving the prefabs into the slots per Chris has fixed the problem. I tried a new game wizard to test the auto inclusion theory. When you create a new scene and start fresh with the new game wizard, these (txHotspot, Grid) are not automatically put into their slots, if you manually insert them all is good. So it appears, there is an issue with the game wizard communicating with Unity UI??? Not sure, but a theory.
  • We can know for sure if you temporarily switch your Menu Manager asset to Demo_MenuManager, select the Interaction Menu's Source to Unity Ui Prefab and see if its correctly assigned there.

If the RectTransform is not assigned there either, there could be a problem with the original prefab - though it's all correctly assigned on the package I submit.
  • edited August 2016
    They are assigned in the demo manager so I guess the prefabs are fine. Now, that I have one of these problems worked out. When I click the look at icon, no dialogue shows up although it is in the action list and done correctly per the tutorial.  Interesting, when I use the demo manager, it works correctly in my scene. Any ideas?

Also, I tried a clean import of AC in 5.4 and did a new game wizard, when I checked the interaction and hotspot menus, the RectTransforms were showing NONE. If that helps.

It also happened in 5.3.6. It's like AC is not assigning the info.
  • Thank you - I have managed to recreate the unset RectTransform field and subtitles issue, and will issue a fix in the upcoming v1.53c release.

In the meantime, if you use the New Game Wizard and choose "Default AC" rather than "Default Unity UI", things should at least work as intended.
  • Well, good to know I wasn't going crazy lol. I'm continuing with that very thought using the AC default. Thanks again Chris.
  • No problem - in fact, v1.53d is now out, so you do have the option if you wish.
  • Everything working perfectly now. Thanks again for putting up with my venting.