Forum rules - please read before posting.

Is it possible to make subtitles both scroll AND, in a separate label, not scroll?

edited September 2016 in Technical Q&A
Hi,

I realize this is kind of an absurd question, but is it possible to make two separate labels, one that scrolls subtitle text and one that doesn't?

Or to rephrase:  Is there a way to get a copy of the text the subtitles that are GOING to print?

For example, if a character said "hi, how are you", could I have one text box that instantly prints "hi, how are you" and another that brings in each character individually per frame?

Here's why.  I'm trying to connect Adventure Creator with Super Text Mesh, a plugin that lets you animate text in a bunch of fun ways.  I'd like to use Adventure Creator's scrolling text for character audio, as well as letting the player click to display currently-scrolling text (instead of just instantly skipping to the next line of dialogue).  But I'd like to use Super Text Mesh to actually display text, since it's animated, so I'd like a copy of the dialogue in advance so it can scroll the text out at the same rate.

This is a really dumb workaround but I'm hoping it's possible, because the alternative is figuring out how to make STM understand which characters are speaking and ALSO to get Adventure Creator to not continue text until STM is done typing.

Is this possible?

-John

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Seeing that you've posted a script before I was able to answer this, I'm not sure if this answer is relevant now, but you can use custom events to store the line text at the moment a speech line begins.  A tutorial covering the OnStartSpeech event, which is what you'd need, can be found here.