Forum rules - please read before posting.

Background Subs become Clickable

For my game, I have three sets of dialogue speech: Narration, Subtitles, and Background Subtitles. In the scene I'm having a problem with, I have an NPC who randomly speaks with the Background Subtitles. Meanwhile, my player has free-run with the Narration. At the moment, the NPC's actions run in a parallel "background" process, with the "background" option checked in each line and "duplicate" checked in the options. When I test the game, it looks like it works. I can play while the NPC's talking.

But I noticed that if I activate a Narration UI while the BG-Subs are active, the BG-Subs suddenly become clickable, and I'll have to click them off before I can click the Narration off. The BG cutscene then continues normally and I can repeat the issue at will. I thought it might be my custom UI causing the problem, but switching to AC speech does the same. I've messed around with the Speech Manager, the layers, and different options for running the cutscene, and the console isn't returning any errors when it happens. Any ideas on what else could be causing my BG-Subs to stop being BG?

Thanks!

Comments

• In what version of AC?  It should be an issue with the internal handling of speech, rather than their display through Menus.  Check that the ActionList that runs the background lines is set to Run In Background - not just the speech Actions themselves.
  • It's the latest 1.54 version and both the action list and speech actions are set to "Run" and "Play" "in Background".

I recreated the issue in the demo as well using the same settings as above. BG-Subs overlap Blocking-Subs if Bl-Subs are created while BG-Subs are playing.
  • Thanks - I'll attempt to recreate it on my end.
  • Recreated and fix for v1.54c.
  • Awesome! Thanks again, Chris!