Forum rules - please read before posting.

latest update warnings/errors v 1.37a

edited August 2014 in Engine development
Hello,

I just upgraded AC and now everytime I'm in the GameEditor window, if I move / scroll up or down i get these constant errors:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AC.MenuInteraction.AutoSize () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/MenuInteraction.cs:218)
AC.MenuElement.RecalculateSize () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/MenuElement.cs:418)
AC.MenuInteraction.RecalculateSize () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/MenuInteraction.cs:210)
AC.Menu.PositionElements () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/Menu.cs:550)
AC.Menu.Recalculate () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/Menu.cs:464)
AC.MenuManager.SaveAllMenus () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/MenuManager.cs:144)
AC.MenuManager.ShowGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/MenuManager.cs:133)
AdventureCreator.OnGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:252)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AC.MenuInteraction.AutoSize () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/MenuInteraction.cs:218)
AC.MenuElement.RecalculateSize () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/MenuElement.cs:418)
AC.MenuInteraction.RecalculateSize () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/MenuInteraction.cs:210)
AC.Menu.PositionElements () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/Menu.cs:550)
AC.Menu.Recalculate () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/Menu.cs:464)
AC.MenuManager.SaveAllMenus () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/MenuManager.cs:144)
AC.MenuManager.ShowGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/MenuManager.cs:133)
AdventureCreator.OnGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:252)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)

they do not prevent me from continuing my work, just annoying and a little worrying.

UPDATE: the only downfall now is that I cannot see an update in the game view... "Test In game window" seems to be unresponsive :(

Afterwards I ran the game, unchecked that, closed the game, re opened and viola after checked warnings/errors disappeared and it works now it updates in game view :) 

It also seems that all my "scenes" in the build settings have been replaced with AC's settings, and also in the PlayerSettings things have changed... not sure if this is the right way to update an asset luckily i made a backup :P

Comments

• When you update next time, you can uncheck the project settings before you click Import (they're at the bottom of the file list). That way your settings wont be replaced.
  • :o

dam i wish I knew that before !

haha thanks, i will pay attention to that next time.

• I just unchecked the Project Settings and it still messed it up (latest update)... hm
  • Well, you should uncheck all the settings assets where you've made changes. I unchecked EditorBuildSettings, InputManager, ProjectSettings, QualitySettings and TagManager.

But note that this particular update had an important change in the TimeManager asset. So you will need to import that one.
  • I'll fix the errors for 1.28 - thanks for the alert.

The "Test in Game Window" option only works when you are in an AC scene - the help box at the top of the Menu Manager warns you of this.
  • My scene is in AC, it just acts up after an "update" thats all, and the error disappears after I run the game and close it.
  • Good to know, but I think it may be more of a problem than it sounds.

While you await an official fix, you can amend the offending line yourself.  In MenuInteraction.cs (AdventureCreator -> Scripts -> Menu -> Menu classes), look for line 216 and replace:

if (displayType == AC_DisplayType.IconOnly && (icon == null || icon.texture != null))

with:

if (displayType == AC_DisplayType.IconOnly && icon != null && icon.texture != null)
  • Thanks a lot, as always you are doing amazing work!

I watched all your videos on youtube, very very cool good job!

We need more man like you,

god bless.