Forum rules - please read before posting.

Custom inventory button is flashing

edited November 2016 in Technical Q&A
Hello 
I,v created custom inventory opener button (bag), 
and now this Bag, as well as Pause button is flashing whenever I click on any hotspot 
(use or examine).
How to fix this problem ?
I will be verry thankfull for sollution.

Here is example video where You can se the problem:

Thanks 
Wojciech Witowski
Indor Entertainment

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @IndorWojciech.

In future, please post timestamps when a video is required to see the problem.  The video shows the issue, but no detail about your Menus or your Interactions.  Screenshots of your Menu's properties, and a sample ActionList will be necessary if the problem persists.

However, I suspect that this is because you've set your Menus to appear during gameplay - meaning when a gameplay-blocking ActionList or Cutscene is run, they'll disappear for the duration, even if it's only a frame.

Any ActionList or Cutscene can be set to Run In Background via it's When running field in the Inspector.  If the Actions only occur over one frame, it's safe to set this for your Interactions.  If instead you want full control over when your Menus are shown, you can set their Appear type setting to Manual, and then use the Menu: Change state Action to turn them on and off as needed.
  • edited November 2016
    Hi, Thank You for very fast response (I just came back to solve this problem today).
    Yes this button is made as "appear during gameplay", but unfortunetly Your advice does nothing ...
    After changing examine interaction option into : "Run In Background" bag is flashing as before...
    Any ideas ?
    Im posting image of this Inventory button properties as well:
    And here is sample action list that is causing bag to flash (simplest examine-player talk action...but basically almost "all clicks" are cousing the same thing.):
    Or maybe if You wanted action list from this inventory button so here it is as well:
  • Another question:
    Is there any way to change user name here on Forums ? ;]

thanks in advance Chris !
  • And what is the When running property of the sample ActionList in the third image?

As the Menu's Appear type is During Gameplay, it wil disappear whenever a gameplay-blocking ActionList is run.  You could ensure that all your ActionLists are set to Run In Background, but bear in mind that this will affect your gameplay as well - i.e. the player will still be able to interact / move around etc while they should be prevented.

If you want to ensure there's no flickering, and stay in control over when the player can and can't interact, set the Menu's Appear type to Manual, and use the Menu: Change state Action to turn on and off as needed.
  • Okay, 
    Great - huge thanks now its working just fine !
    done this:

"If you want to ensure there's no flickering, and stay in control over when the player can and can't interact, set the Menu's Appear type to Manual, and use the Menu: Change state Action to turn on and off as needed."

Wojciech Witowski
    Our new company FB page:
    Stay tuned for great adventure game made out of this engine in 2017 !!! :)

• edited November 2016
    Okay, 
    There is another problem (I still have "Pause" button present during gameplay ),
    and this one is basically the same as in 2D Demo (it's set to apear "On Input Key").
    and it reacts in same fashion as my Bag before ...
    (it blinks whenever anything is clicked).
    (so I want to make it be like improved Bag/or want to remove this "Pause" button completly from screen-but left "ESC" funcionality).
    How to achieve that ?

Thanks

• I'm not sure what you mean - is this "Pause" button separate to the "Pause" menu?  Please illustrate your issue with screenshots.

If the Appear type is On Input Key, then it will respond to the input named in the Menu's Toggle key field.  Enter in a name such as "Menu", and define that input in your Input Manager, mapped to the escape key ("escape").

Alternatively, for greater control over how or when an input key is used by AC, you can use Active Inputs.  See section 2.14 of the Manual - they basically allow you to run ActionLists whenever an input is pressed under certain conditions.  You can then use a Menu: Check state Action to determine if the Menu is on or off, and follow it up with a Menu: Change state to turn it off or on accordingly.
  • Sorry,

I ment 
    "InGame" menu ;] (this "Pause" thing present during gamepley).
    Now I changed it to Manual appear type just like bag, and its fine .

Sorry for misleading.
    And once again thumbs up for doing great job with AC Chris !

Wojtek