Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animator on Child for NPC

I have a model with wrong Axis. I want to partent it in a Parent GO NPC object from AC to fix the axis. Can AC access the child animator for animations? As i can see if i use a empty GO and use the char wirzard the animator is also added on the parent object.

Comments

• You could hack the Char.cs script to accept an Animator on a child object.  Look for the GetAnimator function and replace GetComponent with GetComponentInChildren (which I believe also checks for components on the same object).
  • edited November 2016
    ummm... you could always just download a 3D modeling software demo or a free one like blender or sketchup, then rotate the model and re-import it...

Blender is a beast, which can accomplish what most paid 3D modeling software can, but it's not so noob friendly. Still, just rotating and re exporting an object shouldn't be too difficult in most cases (just don't forget to tick "EXPERIMENTAL! Apply Transform" when exporting from blender to Unity- also in blender Z is up, so you'll be rotating the model on the Z axis). Or you can try Sketchup, which is pretty easy to learn, but I can't recall if the free version can export FBX (only important if you are using FBX though, but I don't know what type of model you are using).

Anyway, modifying the model is usually the way to go. Trying to find workarounds for bad pivots or models facing the wrong axis is usually more trouble than it's worth. Specially because it'll usually take you no longer than 1-5 minutes to fix it in a modeling software, whereas in some cases you can end up spending hours trying to find a workaround in the engine and may never get the expected result, or get weird behaviors in certain situations, so I don't recommend doing it that way...