Forum rules - please read before posting.

Multiple examine lines in one hotspot

Hi!

I'm really new to AC and loving it so far! I wonder if there is already a way of giving one hotspot different lines of text for each time you interact with it, for example that it cycles through 3 lines of text and then resets back to the first one when you reach the last one? For example, the bird in the 2D demo, when you look at it : 
1:"This looks like a bird", 
2:"Second time looking at it and it looks more like a plane" 
3:"No, its definately a bird!"

I hope I made my question clear :O 

Comments

• I think I figured it out by using parameters, checking variables and actionlists!
  • Making them randomized is the easiest, you can use the Variable: Check random number action. Then you can have each of the numbers give a different line that way. Otherwise, as far as I know, you'd need a way to keep track of the order/number of the last read line (or next to be read line), so as you said, you'd need to use scene local variables. You could have one var per hotspot examine, an int or a popup, then in the actionlist/cutscene you could read the current number to decide what text to display, then just update the var to make sure it always stays correct for the next use. (like: current var value is 0, so show text for line 0, then add 1 to the var, repeat)

ummm... I do think it would be pretty cool if there was a built-in action to do this though, as it's a very common approach in many, many games. For sure, It would at least save you the trouble of creating local scene variables for each interaction. If each actionlist/cutscene/actionlist asset could keep track of this order internally (if desired, through an AC action) if would be pretty neat.
  • Welcome to the forum, @Bladderbloat.

You can use the Variable: Run sequence Action for exactly this scenario.  You set as many outputs as you need, and a different one is run in turn each time it's run.
  • Thank you! Run sequence was exactly what I was after! 
  • edited November 2016
    What the, I hand't even noticed that action existed until now xD (But I've been mostly programming this past few months...). Anyways, nice :)