Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to upgrade Adventure Creator

Hi there,

Can you point me to documentation about how best to upgrade Adventure Creator, so that the new version is applied to an existing project?

I assume that simply downloading it from the asset store won't automatically cause existing projects to upgrade (or will it?).

In particular, what happens to any local modifications to the Adventure Creator code that may have been made (for example, the tweak that was suggested as part of http://www.adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/5742/navmesh-colour).

Kind regards,

- Mark

Comments

• Updating AC is covered in Section 1.6 of the Manual.  The key things to be aware of are the upgrade notes in the changelog, and the fact that the a full re-import of AC overwrites which Managers are active in your Game Window, but these can be brought back by double-clicking your ManagerPackage asset made by the New Game Wizard.  All the details can be found in that section.
  • Over the course of my two years as an AC user I've come to the conclusion that it's best to keep local changes separated as much as possible from the main code base, as this is being updated quite frequently.

These days, most customisation can be handled through the integration points provided directly by AC or by having dedicated scene objects use the API.

• edited November 2016
    I second the idea that modifying AC's main code base is a bad idea. In the past, when I used to need to get some references directly from one of AC's scripts I used to put some scripts directly on the GameEngine or PersistantEngine Prefabs instead, but if you have many scripts like that, then it becomes a chore to reassign them when updating, so later I changed to using prefabed manager objects. But by now, there's enough events and statics in AC that you'll hardly need to dig too deep to create other systems on top of it, and if it really comes to that, you can just turn off any AC systems if they somehow get in your way.
  • To be fair, the code changes were my suggestion as a "quick fix" for a particular problem - but the source of it (the inability to recolour NavMesh gizmos) will be addressed officially in v1.55a.