Forum rules - please read before posting.

NPCs, Paths and Obstacles

edited December 2016 in Technical Q&A
Couldnt find something simular with the search in the forum. 
I have direct control in my game. I setup a NPC with a path and the wandering is working great. 
Now i want to avoid obstacles the NPC along his path. I created a NavmeshSegment with a static obstacle and the NPC is not pathfinding the way, he goes straigth his path. 
Doesnt use the Path script pathfinding? I can remember i saw anywhere an option for "use pathfinding" or something like this. Are there any restrictions? 

Edit: Option Keep out of Players Way also not working. =(

Comments

• maybe i have to use navmesh agent component? 
  • Are these obstacles dynamic, or baked into your NavMesh?

Not avoiding obstacles and not sticking to the NavMesh are two separate issues - let's focus on the NavMesh issue first as it's a prerequisite to the obstacle one.

You will need to provide full details on what you've done so far - otherwise, all I can do is direct you to the Manual's Section 2.12 and the associated tutorial.  Screenshots of your NavMesh and NPC's full Inspector in particular will help.
  • edited December 2016
    I am using a baked obstacle. 
    It is just for testing currently so i did a npc via AC wizard. Put a navmesh segment down with a obstacle. baked it with the unity navigation tab. Created a 2 node path and assigned it with a cutscene with the  action Character: Move along Path to the NPC. He ignores the obstacle and goes straight the path. Maybe i am doing something wrong but what? 

• Here the settings: 

• The character isn't going to perform pathfinding if you supply a Path for him - he'll move along the exact path you supply.  For pathfinding, you want to use the Character: Move to point Action, and supply a Marker object that marks his intended destination.
  • ah didnt know there is a restriction. markers are not really a option for me cause i have a really big scene and with paths i have a better overview of what is going on. are there any plans to implement this in a future update? it should be the same logic like navmesh agents (SetDestination), or existing pathfinding in AC. or do you have any idea how i can archiev it?
  • You have the option of using Unity's NavMeshAgent for movement if you prefer - attach the NavMeshAgentIntegration component to your character.  You'll need to open up the script to see comments on how it works, and it can be copied and amended to suit.
  • i will give it maybe a try. maybe..if you have time you can integrate Simple Waypoint System =P
    it has every feature you need for a living world