Forum rules - please read before posting.

Player choose avatar at game start

For my future games, I would like to give player the option to choose the player avatar (to respect the gender and racial and ethnic background of player).  It will involve more than allowing for player switching because my games are dialogue heavy and the player's name (and gender) are frequently mentioned throughout. I wonder if dialogue text could be set up to allow for the use of global variables, as in, "[Var:Jess] is in the next room, where [var:he] is sleeping." And have these tied to the name field of the character (and maybe add an option under the name field for male/female). Then, at game start, player can choose an avatar and a gender, and then the game would go through and make all the appropriate changes.

Comments

• Variable tokens are already a feature of AC.  When viewed in the Variables Manager, the Replacement token field shows you what you can enter into a speech text box to show its value, e.g:

Global variable with ID of 2:  [var:2]
    Local variable with ID of 1:  [localvar:1]

The player's name can be stored as a string, while something with discinct values (e.g: "Male", "Female" can be set as a PopUp variable.
  • Cool. Thanks.