Forum rules - please read before posting.

What are my limits with AC?

edited February 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hello.

I am a total beginner and have only done some very basic coding, so this sound like something for me. But I have a couple of questions I hope i can get answered, before I purchase AC.

Can I import my own 3d models and textures?

Can i create my own graphics for my UI in the game, in another program like 3ds max, maya, Photoshop, Illustrator or the like?

Can I add custom codes to create behavior that AC maybe doesn't provide?

And can I publish for android as well as PC?

Hope I'll find my answers :) 

Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Same answer to each of your questions: yes.

In my opinion, AC is hands down the cleanest and best-designed (and best supported) game framework available on the asset store, and will not hold you back if you want to extend the system.

However, bear in mind that the focus is firmly on classical adventure game genres, ie. nothing heavily action oriented.

Also, if you're completely new to Unity, AC will make much more sense if you learn the engine itself first - AC builds on Unity, so your life will be much easier if you've played around with the basic engine first.

Not to scare you off in any way - it's just to help you make an informed choice.
  • Alright thanks.

What if I wanted to include combat elements? would AC make that more difficult for me than if the game was coded from the start?
  • Welcome to the community, @Crispy.

AC is designed for traditional adventure games, i.e. games without any combat - so any such gameplay would have to be done separately and work alongside AC.

How difficuly that would be is difficult to judge - it varies from game to game due to varying requirements and designs.  The easiest way to do this is to simply separate your AC and combat sections into different scenes.  Alternatively, you can turn AC off completely at any time using the script functions given here.

For something more intertwined, you'd have to look into disabling certain AC systems (such as player movement) in favour of your own system instead.  A tutorial on integrating AC with another motion controller can be found here.
  • Alright!

Thanks a lot!