Forum rules - please read before posting.

Going from AC 1.56c to 1.56e seems to have broken "Slow movement near wall colliders?"

Hello!

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure that it's the upgrade itself that broke things but I haven't made any changes to the player character in any way so it's the only thing I can think of.

When I was on AC 1.56c, when the character would hit a wall collider with "Slow movement near wall colliders?" active, the character would actually stop.

Now if I do it on 1.56e, the character if running will keep running, and if I'm just walking, the character will stand still (not animate the walk cycle), but will still be moving forward and kind of bounce backwards repeatedly.

Tried upgrading to 1.56f as well but that didin't resolve the issue.

Comments

• When running, do they slow at all?  Look at the Mecanim parameters window, rather than going by the Game window.

Just tested the feature in my own project and can't find anything amiss - and no changes were made to the feature between c and e.  Let's see some screenshots of the player prefab and wall colliders.
  • They do slow, but there is like a residual juttering of increased speed that keeps coming and going, it's as though the collider is of a soft material that the character can push into and get knocked back slightly by is the only way I can describe it. If I hold down to run, the character sometimes get stuck walking at the collider, and if I just walk, the character stops with the speed parameter staying at 0.0 but still there's this juttering of the character moving slightly forward and being pushed back by the collider.

Collider:

Player:
  • The one related change I can think of was the addition of the Move with Rigidbody2D? checkbox to the Player Inspector.  If your Player makes use of this component, try checking that box.  Tweaking the Interpolation settings in that component may help too, but try that first.
  • Ah yes that seems to have done the trick! It's back to working now.

Something that's back now that I thought had been resolved in an update, is that hotspot labels are super jittery when running past them. I have them to appear over player, and if this tickbox is unticked, it's super smooth when running past one, but that breaks the slowing by wall colliders.

Is there a setting I can tweak somewhere to get the best of both worlds?
  • Possibly.  v1.56 introduced the ability to smooth the positioning of such labels, but currently only for Unity UI-based Menus.

However, the code for this to work with AC ones was written - just commented out.  You can try uncommenting the code in Menu.cs' CanDoSmoothing function.

You'll then be able to access to the Smooth movement? option in your Menu.  If that improves things, let me know and I'll consider uncommenting the code officially.  Alternatively, you could rely on Unity UI for your Hotspot menu.
  • edited May 2017
    Hmm I tried uncommenting the CanDoSmoothing bit, I'm assuming this bit?
    /*if (menuSource == MenuSource.AdventureCreator)

{

if (positionType == AC_PositionType.AbovePlayer ||

positionType == AC_PositionType.AboveSpeakingCharacter ||

positionType == AC_PositionType.FollowCursor ||

positionType == AC_PositionType.OnHotspot)

{

return true;

}

}

else*/
    and
    //uiPositionType == UIPositionType.OnHotspot ||

However doing so isn't enabling any option to smooth movement - at least that I can find. I'm looking in the menu manager.
  • The first block only - not the uiPositionType line.

You should find it towards the bottom of your Menu's properties, it's a checkbox labelled "Smooth movement?".
  • Hmm not having much luck I'm afraid - am on AC 1.56g and this is all showing for the menu properties:

• This may be due to a bug where it won't show if Paused when enabled? is checked, but not hidden.

Set the Appear type to Manual, uncheck the box (assuming it's checked), and change back to Hotspot - it should then show.
  • That was the issue, got the checkbox to appear now, however unfortunately it's not having any noticable affect I'm afraid.
  • Try using a Unity UI-based Menu.  You can change the Source field to Unity UI Prefab to make use of a default Hotspot UI prefab, and modify it to suit.