Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can we create advanced UI and Survival Game elements with AC?

Hi, non programmer here, using Playmaker and AC together for my game. :D

So, is it possible to create a AC game in FPS view, driven entirely by UI? Like Might and Magic game, moving forward or changing scenes by clicking buttons instead of WASD?

Also, can we create advanced options UI with AC where we can add video/sound options (turning motion blur or other video options on/off, changing sound/music volume, etc.)? 

Third, if we create a survival game, how hard will it be to create skill points or leveling up system for the game? Basically, what this asset is doing (or what games like 7 Days to Die do) using AC and Playmaker. I am not talking about some crazy voxel stuff, just simple leveling up, skill points system, abilities, etc. 

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @niksha.

While AC can be used to make less-traditional adventure games, some programming is inevitably required to link it with other assets or integrate other systems.  Unfortunately there is never a "magic button" that just makes separate assets work perfectly together.

That said, a tutorial for creating an on-screen joystick can be found here.  Buttons created in AC's Menu Manager can be used to both simulate input and run any of AC's Actions - so you can use the Scene: Switch Action to change scene when a button is pressed.

Extra options can also be added on, though this must be custom coded as each game has different needs for what these options are.  A tutorial on adding a "screen resolution" option can be found here.  The same principle extends to other options, but you will need to amend the code accordingly.

Motion Blur, like all camera effects, should be added to AC's MainCamera component.  You can then toggle its state with:

AC.KickStarter.mainCamera.GetComponent <MotionBlur>().enabled = true; // Or false for off

(Assuming "MotionBlur" is the name of the script).  But that's just an example - this is more of a Unity C# topic and you should refer to Unity's documentation.  AC's scripting guide, which covers how to access AC's various components, can be found here.

Be aware that AC already has the ability to change SFX/Music volumes - you can adapt the default Options Menu to change how/where the Sliders are displayed - they don't have to be where they are in the default interface.

For skill systems etc, you can use AC's Global Variables to keep track of any stats you want - e.g. an Integer for level number, a Boolean for whether or not a certain ability is known, etc.  You can control Variables in-game using the Variable: Set and Variable: Check Actions, and also through script (again see the front page of the scripting guide).

If you have PlayMaker, you can also link Global Variables to PlayMaker Variables - allowing for automatic synchronisation between the two assets - see Section 7.3 of the Manual for more on this topic.

Global Variable values can also be displayed in your Menus by using variable tokens - see this tutorial as well as Section 7.1 of the Manual.
  • Nice, so it'll be easy to use Playmaker for stats and stuff.

While we're at it, I purchased Behavior Designer few days ago. I am hoping to create proper AI for enemies (in FPS gameplay mode of course) along with UFPS. I am not planning to create some crazy huge RPG, just light RPG elements mixed with a bit of combat during the adventure. So I do hope that Behavior Designer and AC let me do that easily. :)

Thanks for the reply, going to go through tutorials properly.