Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best way to keep the same active outfit in all scenes

So majority of the tutorials I watch for the adventure creator all show a point and click adventure, or a 3D adventure.

I'm creating an adventure game that is pretty much an interactive visual novel, but its heavy on the scene renders.

So lets say I have 3 outfits for my character to wear, I have a rendered background, with 3 rendered PNG foregrounds with the character wearing 3 different outfits. So I activate an overlay dependent on the choice.

So example: You're at the wardrobe and you select 1. PJS 2. Casual 3.Fancy

This will dress your character in the respective outfit, but the problem is. I want that choice to carry over into every other scene, and its not going to be the same overlay.

I will ofcourse, Render the background, and the 3 overlays that would correspond with the initial wardrobe choice, but how do I take the choice at the wardrobe, and activate the corresponding overlay in every scene?

I hope my question is clear, and I'm aware theres character swapping. But unfortunately my requirement goes deeper than a simple character swap.

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @AdrianHinds.

Player-swapping can be used for more than just changing the controlled character - it can also be used to give the same character different appearances, by having each appearance as a separate Player prefab.

You can then use the Player: Switch Action to change player (and hence costume) at any time in game, and the current player will survive scene changes - provided that you are using player prefabs only and no "local" player objects in your scene files.

If you prefer to work with just one prefab, and change costume by e.g. animating the change with animation layers, you can use the Character: Animate Action to do so.  Again, if you don't rely on local player objects, your player prefab will survive scene changes and any changes made to him will carry over.

You will, however, have to attach a RememberAnimator component to him to ensure the animation layer is saved - see Section 9.2 of the Manual.