Forum rules - please read before posting.

Displaying the value of a variable

Hi,

Two questions:
1. Is it possible to display the value of a variable on screen, in-game, without using coding?

2. I want to have a scene where the player has 15 minutes to try and complete it. I thought about making a variable and using 'wait' and 'increase by -1' actions to make a simple clock mechanism. The question is how do I display the clock to the player?
Is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks

Comments

• 1. Yes, using the [var:X] or [localvar:X] token, where "X" is the ID number of the global or local variable as shown beside its name in the Variables Manager.  See the Section on Speech Tokens in the Manual - they can be used in Speech text or in Menu Labels.

2. Custom coding is always easier for specific tasks like this, however you could do it with a smart use of two Global Integer variables that represent minutes and seconds respectively.  A backgound Cutscene could reduce the "seconds" by 1 every second, and when it reaches 0 sets itself to 60 and also reduces the "minutes" by 1.  When "minutes" reaches 0, the timer is up.

The clock could then be represented in a Menu Label as:

Time left: [var:X]:[var:Y]

Where X and Y are the variable IDs for the minute and second variables.
  • That sounds like a perfect solution. Thanks!
  • edited July 2017
    Never mind. Solved :-)