Forum rules - please read before posting.

Play dialogue in the background

I think I may have found a bug. I have an inventory item for which I have created an examine actionList, which only includes the player saying two dialogue lines (separated by pressing the 'enter' key between one line and the next).
When this play speech action is played as a 'cutscene' both lines display as they should (one, then the second). However, when I tick the 'play in background' check box, only the first line is played.
Is this intended or a bug?

Also, is it somehow possible to have the same examine response a hotspot applied to an inventory item (without needing to create it specifically for the inventory item - since a lot of times said hotspot is just the scene representation of the inventory item)? 

Thanks!

Comments

• It is not possible to separate lines where the Action has Run in background? checked.  I will make that clear in the next update.

You can, however, uncheck that box and have the whole ActionList asset run in the background via its When running property - that will achieve the same thing, provided no other Actions are in the list.

Hotspots can run ActionList assets in one of two ways:
    1. By using the ActionList: Run Action to run the asset within their Interaction ActionList.
    2. By switching the Hotspot's Actions Source field to Asset File so that it only runs ActionList assets, not scene-based Interactions, when clicked.
  • I have something related that I don't understand. I have 4 triggers on a stretch of X meters. Whenever I, as a player, run through a trigger, a person/NPC appears and briefly speaks one or two sentences. At the same time I want the player to look at the person and stop ("face object"+uncheck "play in backround"). With 2/4 triggers it works as desired, but with the other two my character keeps walking and ignores the "face object" action...and I don't understand why it works with one trigger and not with the other. The settings are copied 1:1, only the text was adjusted in each case.

Here is an example of the Triggers. 1st one works, 2nd one doesn´t work, so the player doesn´t stop and doesn´t face the NPC.

HnWOlcb.md.png
    HnWO0Sj.md.png

• You'll need to ensure that the Actions result in a cutscene for the Player to be controlled by turning.

Does it work if you check the Character: Face object Action's Wait until finish? option, and set the Trigger's When running field to Block Gameplay?