Forum rules - please read before posting.

Skippable Cutscenes & Menu, with same ESCAPE key

hi

i set up both actions with the escape key, is there a way that when i skip a scene i doesnt open the menu? using the same escape key.

thanks

Comments

• Yes - you can do this by using an Active Input to open the Menu.

The Pause Menu's Appear type is, by default, set to On Input Key - which means it'll toggle on and off whenever the supplied input button is pressed.  The same thing can be achieved, however, by making two Active Inputs - one to turn it on when in normal gameplay, another to turn it off when the game is paused.

Active Inputs are covered in Section 2.6 of the Manual.  They're basically a way of running ActionLists when an input button is pressed.  Create a new one and map it to the same button as the default Pause menu ("Menu").  Set the condition to "Normal", and assign it a new ActionList asset.  In that asset, have a single Menu: Change state Action that turns on the Pause Menu.

Because it is set to only work during normal gameplay, it won't register when in a gameplay-blocking cutscene.

Be sure to also set your Pause menu's Appear type to Manual so that the Action has an effect on it.

Once that's all working, you can then create another Active Input that does the opposite - i.e. runs another Menu: Change state Action that turns the Pause menu off.  As the Pause menu puts the game in "Pause" mode, set that as the second Active Input's condition.