Forum rules - please read before posting.

Dialogue Text display based on gender

Hey everyone.

I am new to adventure creator.
In a game that i am currently developing there are two characters
Male and Female.
I would like the NPC Character i have respond with him/her based on the gender.
Can someone tell me how i would be able to accomplish this either by scripting or in the Action List Editor...

Cheers,
Anthony

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @anthony8906.

If you're using AC's "Player switching" feature, then you can use the Player: Check Action in your ActionLists to determine the currently-active player, and run different chains of Actions afterwards accordingly.
  • Thank you Chris. 

As of now i do not use the player switching feature. 
    I have a separate scene where the player selects the character and i assign the player in the AC Game Editor.and then load the game scene.
    I will change this to use the player switching feature if this will work...

Cheers,
    Anthony
  • Just curious, are you trying to dynamically get the subtitle to switch pronouns (Him/Her) automatically depending on which gender the player is currently playing as?
  • Yes I am. I am trying to dynamically get the subtitles to switch pronouns. I figured that I'd have a string as a global variable to store the pronoun (him/her) and reference it in the action list editor based on the character selected(Male/ Female). But i am not sure if that is the right way to implement this.
  • If it's a speech replacement you need, consider using Speech tokens (see Section 10.5 of the Manual).

Tokens are special words that get replaced when used as speech text.  A Variable's entry in the Variables Manager gives the name of its own token, which when used will be replaced by the value of the Variable itself.

For example, if Global Variable 2 is a String with the value of "him", then:

"Let's go meet [var:2]!"

becomes:

"Let's go meet him!"

• Wow. That's exactly what i was looking for.. 
    Thank you Chris.