Forum rules - please read before posting.

Subtitles dynamic size

edited November 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hi guys i don't understand if i mess with something and subtitles doesn't scale with windows. Any suggestion?
By the way i used "Create editable copy" to avoid blur

Comments

• There's a difference between scaling the window during runtime, and scaling between plays.  Does this occur if you instead stop the game, rescale, and then restart it?

To update AC-rendered Menus at runtime after a screen resolution change, you need to call the RecalculateAll method, as covered in this tutorial.

Also know that you can switch any Menu's Source field to Unity Ui Prefab, to have it rely instead on a Unity UI canvas, which offers much more control over how a Menu scales with different resolutions.  See Section 11.1.2 of the Manual for more on this.
  • yes chris it’s always not scaled, the problem i think it’s that i used on font “create editable copy” to remove any filter on text but this is possible only with unicode setted and not dynamic, otherwise unity say “change mode to create copy” and i didn’t find a way to remove filter without this step. (i also read something about it on this forum)
  • So it works OK with other fonts?

Since the menu is being drawn with Unity's GUI system, its inability to scale due to this "editable copy" check is going to be down to a limitation with Unity, rather than AC.

I would recommend trying a Unity UI-sourced Menu.  All of the default Menus have a provided UI counterpart by changing the Source to Unity Ui Prefab, which you can then edit by dragging into the Hierarchy, make any style changes you want, click "Apply" to update the original prefab, and then remove from the scene.  Again, see the Manual for more on this.
  • edited November 2017
    i’m sure that’s a unity limitation but i’m wondering if there’s a turnaround in AC Ui or, by the way, i’m trying the port of my ags game at this moment only to learn and after all, i could use fixed text size easily in mobile porting if i ever complete it but, i have planned two new projects again in retro style and i want to make them with AC, do you think is it better to plan high res font?
  • Using Unity UI as your Menu's Source will always give you better control, but both of AC's options regarding Menu rendering rely on Unity's own systems - so any workaround will have to be on the Unity side of things.

Unity have recently made Text Mesh Pro free, which may be something to think about.  AC has an integration script here: http://adventure-creator.wikia.com/wiki/Text_Mesh_Pro_integration

It'll still require you to use Unity UI, however, and I would recommend becoming familiar with that before integrating another asset.