Forum rules - please read before posting.

Many simultaneous nav meshes (?)

I have a very simple question that may not have a straightforward answer...  :P

I've got many identically sized nav meshes distributed far apart in my scene. They're very simple (rectangles) and until now I've been switching the default nav mesh around, when the player character changed its location in the map. That is...: I'm not using multiple scenes to change the location.

So... just by chance I've discovered that you can actually have multiple "turned on" nav meshes simultaneously. And my jaw dropped at that realization. :-O

My job would be SO much easier if I just activate ALL nav meshes in the scene and teleport the character around...

But I'm wondering about the performance cost and also the fact that I've got a warning without apparent consequences when I was testing the thing...:

What is a spanning tree in this context?

Anyway, this is not a serious question or issue. I'm just curious about this and will experiment to see for myself if the game explodes or not. :))

Thank you.

Comments

• Okay, I may not need a response after all.

I've activated all nav meshes, and at the tenth click the player character went all the way to another nav mesh as 100 units of distance. :))

I'll stick with the traditional way of doing things then. I guess this is just too much for the pathfinding logic to handle. ;)
  • This is for a 2D game?

If your single "active" NavMesh has additional Polygon Collider components attached as children, then they'll be included in pathfinding calculations.  They'll be treated as isolated, however, so a character can't travel between them.  See the end of the Manual's "Polygon Collider pathfinding" chapter.
  • Oh! So I could have one NavMesh with multiple colliders instead of turning on dozens of them!?

I'll try that asap! Thank you! :D

And yeah, it's a 2D point & click game.
  • Correct, so long as they don't connect with each other - see the image shown in the Manual.
  • Well, I was going to do this, but then I saw that warning about character evasion only working on the first collider, so I'll stick with changing NavMeshes manually. :P

Thank you anyway.