Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Nintendo Switch] AC save system compatibility?

So the adventure game I'm working on is aimed to be ported on the Nintendo Switch. After managing to make AC run on it, there's a big issue with the saving system. So far the "CreateDirectory" that the default saving system is using at some point is not allowed by the console, and the game crashes as a result.

How the Switch handles saves is currently being investigated. From what we gathered so far, the Switch apparently only allows a specific protected space where the saves are stored, and returns it to Unity when asked.

A custom save system is obvious. So my question here is how the save system and script interface for handling files of AC works? And were should I start looking first within AC?

Comments

• edited January 2018
    Indeed, consoles are not officially supported by AC - a custom save sytem would definitely be necessary.

Your first port of call is the "Custom save formats and handling" chapter of the Manual.  AC provides a separation between format and handling.  You might be OK with the default save format (Binary), but you can switch to XML, Json, or a custom one if necessary.

So far as save handling goes, AC saves separate files to the system's Application.persistentDataPath by default - but an interface to save to PlayerPrefs is also included.  This can be enabled with:

SaveSystem.SaveFileHandler = new SaveFileHandler_PlayerPrefs ();

It may be that you need an entirely custom one - in which case, you can write a new implementation of the iSaveFileHandler interface - using the two provided ones as examples.
  • That sounds like a good starting point. Thank you very much!
  • Did you have any luck with this?
    I've just started trying to get AC working on switch and I've run into the same problem.

• I'm needing help with this, too. I've got it saving and loading fine IN GAME but once you quit the app and relaunch then there are no save games anymore for it to load.

• You will need to consult Nintendo's own docs regarding save system capabilities. What file format are you using?