Forum rules - please read before posting.

Change save game location?

Hi,

I know that AC stores the save game files in the persistentDataPath under the location, C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\[companyname]\[projectname].
I'd like to change the default save location to inside my final build folder. Is there any easy way to do this?

Comments

• Unity recommends that files be saved in the persistentDataPath, but you can change it by modifying, or creating a new, SaveFileHandler.

AC's save system is modular - see the "Custom save formats and handling" chapter of the Manual.  The call to save in the persistentDataPath is found in the SaveFileHandler_SystemFile script's GetSaveDirectory method.

The quickest way to make the change would be to amend that method in that script, but the cleaner way to do it (so that you can upgrade AC easily) would be to duplicate the script, rename the file/class, and then make the change to the new file.  You can then attach a script to your scene to override the iSaveFileHandler interface from the default, e.g.:

SaveSystem.FileFormatHandler = new MyClassName ();