Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can we switch 2D project to 3D in the future?

I am using AC to create a 2D game right now, but I was wondering if in the future, I will be able to switch it to a 3D point and click adventure game instead of 2D point and click it is right now?

Is there a quick tutorial to do that (if possible)? :)

Thanks.

Comments

• edited April 2018
    It's possible, but not recommended.  A game's perspective is ideally decided before production begins.

2D and 3D games rely on different logic prefabs (Hotspot vs Hotspot2D, for example).  The key different between such prefabs is really their attached Collider.  A 2D Hotspot requires a BoxCollider2D / PolygonCollider, while a 3D Hotspot requires a BoxCollider / MeshCollider / CapsuleCollider.

Since your already-made 2D game would involve logic such as turning Interactions on/off, having characters move around and speak etc, you'd need to update such objects to use the correct component type, replace their graphics, and reposition Markers etc.

The GameCameras too would need changing, but you'd need to replace the actual GameCamera script (GameCamera2D -> GameCamera, for example).  Therefore, references to them in e.g. Camera: Switch Actions would be lost and you'd have to re-assign them.