Forum rules - please read before posting.

contributing to adventure creator

edited September 2014 in Technical Q&A
What's the best way to contribute changes back to your code?  I just bought it.  I'd like to expand some functionality that involves changes to your code.  I'd like to be able to contribute those changes back.  If this were an open source project on github I'd just send you pull requests.  Since it's not open-source, that makes it harder to do.  Do you have any ideas how I can best keep changes to your code in order both for myself and also for you to adopt those changes rather than have me diverge dramatically from you over time?

Comments

• Hi brad,

I think your best bet is to set up a version control system for the AC source code, for example like described here:
    http://adamsingle.com/unitygitsourcetreebitbucketmactute/

I think @Guran here in this forum has set it up successfully, so it might be worth a try to ask him for help (in case you need any, that is) ...

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Adeventure Creator!

Cheers,
    orrence.

• Please keep such source controls private.  As for how I might adopt such changes, it all starts with a PM!  Let me know what changes you've made, and I'll consider incorporating them.
  • My question is more about a mechanism for how to send you a change-set, not about a specific change-set at this time.  For example, if I sent you patch files as suggested here:

Would that be something you'd be able to digest?  Or is there a better patch format or regimen that better matches your development systems/style?

For example, if you were using bazaar, then you would most certainly prefer a merge directive as referenced here:

• I wouldn't accept patch files, because (and this is purely me being overly-rigorous, I'll admit) I want to add each and every code change into AC myself, by hand.  There is no "standard" way for sending code proposals, and I don't want the complexity/confusion that would come about from having one.  Better, as I said, to tell me what change you've made (when the time comes), and I'll make it myself.