Forum rules - please read before posting.

Actionlists losing referenced character objects

edited April 2018 in Technical Q&A
Heya
I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I have an issue with character actions that's been happening since forever.

So let's say to resize my characters adjust their speed etc I drag them all into the scene as a test, then in an actionlist which controls all the character scales and movespeeds and stuff, I drag in each character prefab into Character:Change rendering (or anything else like move on path in the character category).

Sometimes I play it, I stop it and it stays there fine, and then sometimes I'll press play, I'll stop it, and all the references are gone again.

Sometimes and sometimes not, if I start the game, it all works fine, I mess around with it a bit, sometimes I edit the asset actionlist on run time to save me from stopping, changing, then restarting (as that takes forever), then I stop the game, and sometimes all the references from every character in the scene is missing from the actionlist. Then when I play the game, their sizes and speeds and paths etc have all gone back to their defaults because it's missing in the actionlist. So I have to drag every prefab into the right boxes all over again (and find the right boxes as different actions have different changes for each character).

Here for example just now:
https://imgur.com/a/KT92Sie
Note that it's happened so often I've had to toggle comments to name where each character is supposed to be lol

But no, I'm not dragging the characters from the scene into the references, I'm dragging their prefab from the assets folder...the actionlists are also assets and not in scene, although the same thing happens to in-scene actionlists.

It's a nuisance but I wondered if you can replicate it? It happens mostly when I'm editing the actionlist in real time when the game is playing but occasionally when I made changes before playing the game.

Any reasons why it's doing this?

Thank you so much!

Comments

• As ActionList assets work by referring to Constant ID numbers, you should not change them at runtime as that will only cause problems.  If references are becoming lost without editing, please try to provide clear, reproducable steps that I can follow in order to experience the exact problem myself.

It's also worth noting the ActionList parameters might be useful to you here.  If you're making the same changes to multiple characters, it might be worth moving these to a single parameterised ActionList, and then running that ActionList for each character.