Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot Interaction with Player Vicinity

Hello, I am currently working on a game with direct movement and want the player to be able to interact with hotspots using the keyboard. I have tried creating an "InteractionA" input in the input manager and tried making a script for an input override and added it to an empty object in the scene, but neither have worked. In both instances, when I try to test the game with these inputs enabled the player will not move.

Comments

• There's no need for an override script - defining "InteractionA" should be enough to interact with Hotspots.  You can remove the default click functionality in the Settings Manager.

If you're having trouble with your player character, try temporarily dropping the 3D Demo game's, Tin Pot, into the scene.  He's equipped with a Hotspot Detector, so if he works OK then the issue'll lie with your own player - which case, we can see about learning the difference.

Either way, if you still have trouble, please post full details in the form of version numbers, camera perspective, interaction options etc.
  • I don't think it's the player character though because when the player goes up to the hotspot its name appears, so it seems like the player is sensing the hotspot. Also my game is 2d, so I can't really use that character to test it.

I attached some screen shots of the player and the hotspot.

• Sorry, there's not enough here - specifically I need to see your entire Settings Manager, and the Hotspot's Inspector.

It looks like the Hotspot has an "Interactive boundary" assigned.  Does it work if it is temporarily unassigned?
  • Sorry about that. Here is the Settings Manager and Hotspot Inspector.

The Hotspot's name still shows up when the "Interactive boundary" is turned off.

• Don't disable the Interative Boundary component - unset it from the Hotspot Inspector.

Also, I wasn't asking if the label shows up (since that's correct), but instead if the Hotspot then becomes interactive.

I cannot recreate this problem with the same settings.  Try switching to "Mouse And Keyboard" input, and re-enable "default click functionality".  What then?
  • I found the problem. My player had a circle collider to interact with the collision cubes and I assumed that that's all I would need for it to interact with the hotspot as well. I added a polygon collider to the player and it works now.
    Thank you.