Forum rules - please read before posting.

Previous Dialogue Actionlist not selectable and faded

Hiya!

So I have this issue that I noticed recently. I thought updating would remedy it but I've think it happened after uploading/downloading from the unity cloud.

Firstly they're all stacked on top of each other in the top left corner, so i hit auto-arrange. Then they're like this. I noticed this because I have an issue where a character's text keeps popping up before the player speaks (when there shouldn't be any text to make happen).

When I make a new dialogue actionlist, its fine though

Comments

• I'm getting a 403 on the link.  Could you paste as raw text or upload to imgur?

ActionLists in the Editor will appear stacked in the top-left corner if you were only using the Inspector to build them beforehand - was this the case?

Are you able to edit the Actions in the Inspector?

What are your current AC/Unity versions, and what versions of did you use to initially create the Actions?
  • Apologies. heres an imgur link. https://imgur.com/a/JPORuNb

I did everything in ActionList editor. When I opened before it was never stacked, it was all how I left it. This stacking seems to only be happening after a cloud build download.

I can edit everything in the inspector as normal, except for the grayed out dialogue elements/actions. Any other actions that aren't dialogue are all perfectly fine looking in the editor and function as intended.

Currently everything with AC is up to date, as is Unity. A lot of these actions were originally made a ways back, some as far as a year, but this is the first time i've encountered this.
  • edited June 2018
    And is this the first time you've downloaded from the Unity cloud?  Or did it (and this particular ActionList) previously work?

Please also be specific about your Unity version number - with patch releases, betas, etc, "latest release" could have more than one meaning.

To clarify: what do you mean about the "grayed out dialogue" elements?  The ones that are broken in your screenshot?  Please also show a shot of how those Actions look in the Inspector.

It looks like the data is still retained (thankfully), just that the node windows have been somehow shrunk.

Does your ActionList make use of parameters?

If you open up ActionSpeech.cs, you'll find a method named "ShowGUI" around line 252.  If you insert the line:

return;

At the top of it (just above "if (lineID > -1)"), what happens?

Are you able to select multiple broken Actions in the Editor window, right click, and copy/paste/expand them as you can normally?
  • First time from cloud, and everything worked just fine. I've managed to find an older version that wasn't from the cloud (where the elements aren't broken) and it seems the dialogue is still acting funny. So now I'm wondering if something is funky from an update, since an old build functioned totally fine.

My unity version is 2018.1.2f1 personal, with Adventure Creator version v1.63.0

The actionlist does not make use of parameters.

i tried the return; addition and it hasnt changed anything as far as i can see.

here's how things look in the inspector: https://imgur.com/a/Viw9nYT

i am able to expand the broken ones, but when i do they look like this: https://imgur.com/a/9ktyTUu
  • I should've also just posted a gif of what it was doing. (Ignore the pause in dialogue, that's just for effect). Something is causing the brief flash of some other line. It's happening project wide, on only specific lines for some reason. 

https://giphy.com/gifs/1lyixMeCvxedkB0IJx/html5
  • So are other ActionLists with those "specific lines" also broken in the Editor?

The GIF doesn't show the problem too well, and I'm confused about the Inspector screenshot because nothing looks problematic there even in the ActionList Editor.

Best to send me some of these files so I can see them for myself.  PM me the original post's scene file, together with your game's Managers and Player prefab, as a .unitypackages file (no graphics or AC necessary) and I'll take a look.
  • will do! thanks