Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Request] Ability to pass any kind of parameter to a Hotspot ActionList

As things stand the only way to pass parameters to Hotspot ActionLists seems to be by setting the ActionLists's parameter to GameObject, at which point a "--> Hotspot Parameter" option appears against the Hotspot and can be used

That's better than nothing of course, but it's not self-evident, nor is it super flexible. And it's not really consistent with the way that ActionList parameters work elsewhere in AC either

As I've written before, I make use of the Hotspot parameter in my current game by running a series of checks on the GameObject parameter to determine which object (NPC Actor in my particular case) has invoked the ActionList. But it would be FAR simpler if I could just specify, say, an int parameter corresponding to the Actor, and pass that into the ActionList instead. I'm sure there are plenty of other instances where being able to pass information directly into a Hotspot-invoked ActionList would come in handy

My guess is that because it's been implemented in the way that it has, and will now almost certainly be embedded in existing games, changing it would have potential adverse effects on those games, so the answer may well be "it can't be done", but, on the "don't ask/don't get" principle, I thought I'd ask anyway

Comments

• Certainly with the way things are currently implemented and embedded, the "it can't be done" response does indeed stand, but the feature itself is more of a convenience - and the true power of setting parameter values is best left to the dedictated ActionList: Set parameter and ActionList: Run Actions.

The setting of parameter values in a UI-friendly manner is extremely complicated - and more ways of doing so also increases potential pitfalls.  Simple-setting of single parameter types aside, I feel its best to rely on the dedicated Actions for anything more complex.

That's not to say you can't rely on such an Action in an "intermediate" Interaction ActionList, which the Hotspot calls and in turn calls the "true" ActionList with all parameters set correctly.
  • ok. no problem. thanks for the reply