Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character animations turn off after loading a save

I've set up my character using the old Legacy system (which, for all I know, is what's causing this issue). When I press "play", it works great: idle, walking, running animations play. But if I make a save and then load it, those animations disappear and the character just glides around.

I've added "Constant ID" and "Remember Animator" components to the character — the problem persists.

Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

Comments

• The Remember Animator component is for Animator components only - not Animation.  Be sure to remove both that and any Animator component that's also on the character - when using Legacy, only the Animation component should be present.

If the character is a player, then it should save/load correctly automatically.  If an NPC, you just need the Remember NPC component.

If all looks all right otherwise, please post more details in the form of AC/Unity version numbers, and screenshots of the character's full Inspector before/after the issue occurs.
  • edited July 2018
    Thanks for the quick response!
    I'm on AC 1.62.2, and Unity 2017 3 of 3 Personal.

I tried removing the Animator component — no dice.

Here's what the Inspector looks like:
    There is zero change in the Inspector between before loading a save and after — all the animations are still listed, and the "Animation" component displays which animations are currently being used, as usual.

I'm thinking maybe I should just switch to Mechanim. :/
  • All looks well from the images.  And if you select the idle/walk animation fields in the Inspector, they ping the correct animation file in your Assets folder?  Do you have any other animations by the name of "idle", "walk"?

Though I'd like to get to the bottom of any bug that there may be, I'd certainly recommend relying on Mecanim for all 3D characters as it relies on an animation system that is still actively maintained by Unity themselves.
  • Thanks so much! You were right — I was using the same animation names and had the incorrect "run" animation selected!
    Now the animations load just fine.
    I will definitely switch over to Mecanim as it's probably better for working with Timeline, but no worries, no bugs to fix here. :smiley: