Forum rules - please read before posting.

Playing dialogue over a conversation in 1.40b

Hey, I've been trying to play dialogue while a conversation is running, and I read I could do this through action lists, but that's not quite working. Text shows up for a split second, then dissapears and won't let me click any of the conversation options.

I know, 1.40b is REAAAAAAAAAAALLY outdated. The reason I'm still using it is because I'm working on a very old project (2015), and it has custom scripts. I tried to update but the entire project would break and it wouldn't work at all.

So, is it possible to do this on this version? I'll understand if you no longer give support to such an old version, but if you could help me even with advice, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Santikun.

Open up PlayerMenus.cs, and find line 644:

if (dialog.isMessageAlive && stateHandler.gameState != GameState.DialogOptions &&

Replace it with:

if (dialog.isMessageAlive &&

That's the best I can do for such a 4-year-old release, I'm afraid.  If you do attempt another upgrade to the latest, be sure to check the "Upgrade notes" section for each release in the Changelog file.  That is there to alert you of any changes made to AC that may affect your game.

• edited November 2018
    Wow, this is great! You don't have to do more than this this was A LOT more than enough. Thank you so much!
  • I found an issue though. While the dialogue is running, the conversation can't be clicked. Any fix?
  • Does the ActionList that plays the speech have its When running field set to Run In Background?
  • edited November 2018
    Yeah, it's set as Run In Background.

The options will select, but clicking won't do anything.
  • edited November 2018
    Oh, just noticed I also turned every dialogue into "run in background" and added "Pause Game"s between each dialogue, if that helps at all.
  • It works for me, I'm afraid.  Using the 3D Demo's Managers, a Conversation is interactive for me so long as the change above is made, and the dialogue ActionList is running as you've described it.
  • Load up the 3D Demo Managers and try this.  Run the scene, and run Cutscene manually - does the speech show at the same time as the options, and are the options clickable?
  • edited November 2018
    I think the URL broke, it won't let me download
  • Works for me - try again?  It's a small size.
  • edited November 2018
    I decided to go and download Firefox, and it worked. It seems like it doesn't work on chrome.

I'm clicking "Run now" on the cutscene and it won't load at all for some reason.

EDIT: I added a player to the scene and the conversation runs, but it still doesn't work at all.

Just in case, I made a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdUTU54AKc&feature=youtu.be
  • Are you using the 3D Demo Managers?  The Conversation is clickable for me, so it may be a difference with your Managers.
  • Yeah, I even made a new scene to make sure too, it's not working at all
  • I'll send a PM.