Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animate character made of multiple sprite.

Hi guys i'm always on porting from ags to adventure creator. In my last game(2D) i'm making character made of multiple charcter to animate eyes, eyebrows, mouth indipendently. I'm wondering if this can be done with sprite unity or i have to use mecanim or if i can merge the two things together. One complex scene for example is the player go behind the table, sit down and take a book to place on table. When animation starts the body lose arms and another character with arms and alpha channel overlap it and along two frames animated behind table than the rest of the frame are overfront table (so also baseline change), after that arms become invisible  and a correct cutted sprite take place to read the book. 

Comments

• The choice of animation engine chiefly deals with how animations are played back, i.e. either by calling clips by name, or using parameter values to determine what is played at any given moment.

What animation data is involved, however, is still up to what you control in Unity's Animation window.  An AnimationClip asset can control the visibility and state of child sprites, not just the sprite that's on the same object as the character's Animator component.

What'll really determine your choice of animation engine is how you want the separate sprites act together - do they animate all as one in each clip, or are you layering animations so that e.g. blinking, mouth movements etc all occur independently.

If the latter, you should go with "Sprites Unity Complex".  This is similar to Mecanim in that it relies on Animator parameters, but is catered for 2D characters with parameters for e.g. the character's facing direction.  The advantage of using Animator parameters is that it's up to you what gets used and how.  An "IsTalking" boolean parameter, for example, can control a sub-layer that only affects the head/mouth, and never the base (main body) layer.

More on this mode can be found in the Manual's "Character animation (Sprites Unity Complex)" chapter, and an example variant of the 2D Demo's Player that uses this engine can be found in the 2D Demo's Resources folder.
  • Thanks Chris i've already checked the manual but i'm little confused so i'll make a try and, in case, i'll write again.
  • edited November 2018
    ok i'm becoming familiar with sprite complex but, as i can see, using only four direction 0, 90, 180, 270 gives me strange behave regarding where the player facing during walk. For example most of the time he facing left or right in up-down oblique movement instead of down, it happens when float angle sign 360 as i can see.
  • Are you referring to the example character, Brain2D_SpritesUnityComplex, or your own?

I can't comment much without seeing what you're referring to, but how your character is animated in this mode is all down to how you make use of your Animator parameters (such as "Angle float") to create transitions.

If you want the up/down directions to be favoured over left/right when facing diagonally, for example, you can adjust the Thresholds that cause each animation to play.
  • it seems to be solved using both 360 and 0 on down