Forum rules - please read before posting.

Interactions on the menu

I'm trying to build an inspection menu that will pop up when the player interacts with something. the idea is that the menu will be a representation of a closeup view of the object they clicked on.

I want to place items on the menu that the player will be able to pick up. What would be the best method for going about this?

Comments

• How do you mean, exactly? Like a list of "hidden objects" for the player to find?

Though not designed with that in mind, you could try making each such item a new Inventory item placed in a new Category, and then creating a dedicated Menu to display items held by the Player in that Category.

Adding all such items to the Player's inventory would then display them all, and you could remove each one separately when the Player picks up the "proper" item.

• Like, evidence or an item on a table for the player to pick up.

So, each one of these screens would act as an inventory box for the player to access when the open the menu. Then when they click on the item, it will appear in the "evidence" inventory?

• You should only need a menu to act as a list of items that the player has found, or has yet to find. The actual objects on-screen for the player to interact with should still be a set of Hotspots and sprites/models that get interacted with in the usual way.

By creating an "Evidence" inventory category, though, yes - you can limit an InventoryBox element to only display items carried by the Player that are in that category. This way, you can keep them separate from the Player's "main" inventory if you wish - though such other items would also have to be categorised so that they too can be limited to only show up in your regular Inventory.

If you'd like more specific advice, I think seeing some mockups or screenshots would be helpful to understand what exactly it is you're after.

• Like this. The screen is a menu and I want to pick up that matchbook in the center. I can't do that in a menu because there are no hotspots.

• A Button element could act as a Hotspot, in the sense that you can run Actions when clicked etc., but it won't behave like a true Hotspot with e.g. different Interaction modes / Inventory combinations.

Why make this screen a menu? You can create a "close up" using Hotspots by switching scene, teleporting them all in front of the camera, or adding them in from a separate scene with the Scene: Add or remove Action.

• True. I could place the screen in the scene and have a camera switch to it when needed. Disabling the object and reactivating it may keep stray mouse clicks from moving the characters during the part.

Thanks!