Forum rules - please read before posting.

Action is null in ActionList Asset

edited January 2019 in Technical Q&A

I'm loading into a scene that is loaded via Unity's new Addressables system. The scene then has a cutscene that references an AssetList ActionList. The AssetList object loads as expected but some of the actions, both custom and built in(Engine: Wait) appear to have null references inside the ActionList.Actions array.

ActionMenuState and ActionVarCheck inside the same array have correct references.

This is specifically throwing an error in RuntimeActionList.DownloadActions. The ActionList currently resides in a Resources file to ensure it was included in the build since the scenes are stored in bundles.

Any idea why this might be?

Comments

• Interestingly, this only occurs in a specific scene and not others.

• So the same ActionList asset runs correctly when referenced from another scene?

If you run the scene without using Addressables, does it then work? Scenes must be added in using the provided AC Actions.

• Yes. In Scene A, the same action list loads in without any problems. In Scene B, it has null actions(always the same nulls). If running without Addressables everything works as expected.

All scenes are loaded into memory via addressables in the main menu and then are loaded via AC Add/Remove Scene. I have 4 scenes in total. 1 Environment Scene and 3 AC Logic Scenes. Each AC Logic Scene is loaded first and then adds in the Environment scene. 1 of the Logic scenes works and the other one doesn't. Both going through the same channels to get loaded. A and B both run a practically identical "Init" cutscene that references an AssetList ActionList as a game intro.

I know I'm working in uncharted waters here, just wasn't sure what might cause an action to be missing from an AssetList Action List. I would've guessed I might've missed something if it was only my custom actions but since it's failing on AC Native actions figured I'd see if AC was intentionally returning null if it couldn't find something, somewhere.

• I can't think why some would and not others, but I haven't looked properly into the Addressable system yet.

If you'd like to create a cut-down version of your project that demonstrates the issue, and the way you're making use of Addressables, I may be able to see what's going on.

• edited January 2019

Hey Chris,

I'll see if I can get you a slimmed down version or reproducible case. It's quite a Frankenstein of a project with a lot of connected pieces so I'll see what I can do.

The asset list wasn't terribly long so I solved my problem by recreating it in the offending scene currently. Just want to avoid the extra maintenance if possible.