Forum rules - please read before posting.

Checking and setting flags / variables between asset and scene actionlists - what are my options?

AC Ver: 1.65.1
Unity Ver: 2018.2.2f1

Hello,

The situation looks like this:

• I've an NPC in my scene and need to set a variable which I can check against in action lists to change outcomes they're connected with

• The only place I can set such a variable (due to my particular setup) is an asset actionlist

By the looks of it, this means that local variables are out of the question because I'm using an asset actionlist. Is using a global variable the only option here? Are there any other ways of setting 'flags' between asset and scene based action lists that I don't know about?

Thanks!

Comments

• Parameters can be used as variables that are "local" to a particular ActionList asset. Their values won't be saved/loaded automatically, but that can be sorted out via script if need be.

What's the real issue here? That having many Global Variables can cause clutter? Bear in mind that you can separate such variables into "folders" with a slash '/' character.

It's true that you can't read a Local variable directly in an ActionList asset. However, it is possible to use the Variable: Copy Action to transfer a local variable's value to a global - and vice-versa.

• edited January 2019

@ChrisIceBox No issue per se; was just curious what other ways & methods there might be for affecting and passing variables between actionlists which I didn't know about.

My intention was to use Global Variables but I didn't know you could organise them like that so even better!